Zen Mama Wannabee Banner

The Fuss about Twilight

TwilightOk, I’m a little late to the party. How could one not notice all the Twilight hoopla – because it’s EVERYWHERE.  The books, the movie, the stars….it’s been everywhere I’ve turned.  But, up until now, I have simply just turned away.  I dismissed the Twilight series movement as a teen thing (would someone ever be so blithe about Harry Potter?? I now see the errors of my way).  But last week I broke down did it – I picked up the book at Barnes & Noble and said those 8 little words, “I wonder what all the fuss is about.”  Then, I went one step further: I bought it and brought it home to read.  May I just say my life hasn’t been the same since!

I had no idea what to expect, other than something about vampires.  I know vampires are hip – the “in” thing – but I am so not a vampire type person.  Probably why I have been able to stay away for so long.  Even Anne Rice didn’t get me. (Saw her movie – no interest in reading the books).  But here it was the first day of summer vacation and I needed a good book to read.  So with no expectations, I gave it a try.  Gotta stay up on the teen stuff, I told myself, as if that was all it was.  Don’t want to be a Mom that is out of touch.

I started reading as soon as the kids were in bed that night.  Unknowingly, I didn’t set the book down again until I finished it (it’s a thick book!) at 2am!  That’s practically pulling an all-nighter for me!  I can’t be staying up until 2am – I’ve got kids that are up at 6am without fail!  What was I thinking?

That just shows how much the story drew me in.  How Stephenie Meyer’s writing kept me turning pages until I was lost in the world of Bella and Edward and Forks, WA.  As I wannabe novelist (someday, I hope) I am in AWE of a writer that can do that.  As an avid reader, I know how rare that gift really is – and wow – has she got it.

The very next day I was back at Barnes & Noble for Book 2 in the series: New Moon.  That one I read in 2 nights ONLY because I had to be practical – I couldn’t function as a mom if I stayed up until 2am TWO nights in a row.

I Facebooked my friends: I get it now, I said.  They wrote back, telling me the WHOLE series is like that.  They represented all ages (married, single, younger, older) – and it sounded like they had similar reactions to mine.  No wonder why it is this media phenomenon of sorts.

I haven’t seen the movie yet.  Movies are never as good as the book (can you think of one – besides perhaps Chocolat with Johnny Depp – that was?) and this book was SO good I want to savor it a bit longer.  But I’ll watch it soon enough.  After all, gotta see what all the fuss is about.  It’s a Zen Mama Wannabe tradition.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “The Fuss about Twilight”

1. callieandbatido Says:
    June 28th, 2009 at 8:26 am

My 15 year old daughter loved the series and I have to say frankly, it never occured to me to read it until now. It seemed so “teen” and I too am not into vampires. But what the heck. Your right, I shouldn’t be so out of touch with what my daughter is reading. I am going to give it a try and will report back. Anyone else read it?

2. LarkLady Says:
    June 30th, 2009 at 8:46 am

I’ve read the first 2 of the series — and I admit, I read the first one because my 15-year-old daughter was reading it and from what I’d seen of other vampire books, I wasn’t sure this was appropriate reading material for her! I loved it… I’d read after she’d gone to bed, and I finished it long before she did. We’ve read the 2nd one and are waiting for her friend to lend us #3… if I don’t go out and buy a copy of the whole series first!
    For me, the series speaks to us of people who are different and how we interact with them. Meyers writes well; the story, even when it gets pretty dark, holds our attention. Meyers doesn’t slavishly follow all the rules of traditional vampires but seems to feel free to make her own rules to fit her storyline.
    Zen Mama, I agree that it isn’t often that both the book and the movie will hold up. Chocolat, for all the differences between the book and the movie, manages in both media; Gone with the Wind is another. Harry Potter does in its own way, although I’m not sure the movies are as enduring as the books — it’s just nice to have the special effects so we can see a Quiddich game being played! 😉 But Twilight — the movie — does a pretty good job… even if your images of the characters are different from the actors who play the parts, somehow it still worked for me.
    Happy reading!

3. Zen Mama Wannabe Says:
    June 30th, 2009 at 11:46 am

I just finished the 3rd in the series (I got this one from the Library as it doesn’t come out in paperback until August and I was TRYING to be good). I’m going to go back today and put in a request at the Library for Book 4. Good thing is it’s FREE. Bad thing is you have to WAIT for it to be available and can’t read it right when you want to.
    I do think I will buy the last 2 at some point – just to have the whole series (but then I’m like that with my books). 🙂 Especially ones I can see re-reading or that I think my kids would enjoy some day.
    Since I’m waiting for Book 4, I went ahead and rented the movie last night. Interesting. My thoughts were: 1) I wonder if you’d get much out of this if you hadn’t read the book. And 2) I bet teens would love this anyway. 🙂
    Anyway, I’m SO glad I looked into what all the fuss was about. 🙂 I wonder what other things I might be missing??

4. LarkLady Says:
    July 1st, 2009 at 10:41 am

Have you read Bridge to Terebithia? I read it, as did my younger daughter, but I haven’t seen the movie so I don’t know how faithful it is to the book. If you read it, keep a Kleenex handy 😉

5. callieandbatido Says:
    July 1st, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I took my kids to Bridge to Terebithia a few years back not really knowing much about it other than it was suppose to be great. It was a wonderful movie but boy was it sad. It also dealt with a some mature themes like belief in God, parental abuse etc. I won’t give away the ending but as we left my then 13 year old daughter was sobbing. She read the book after the movie and I really need to read it too. Great movie but boy oh boy…. I will be interetsed to see how the book compares. LarkLady and Zen Mama, you have really encourged me to read some of these “teen” books. Thanks!

6. Joker Says:
    July 13th, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Hi,
    Everything dynamic and very positively! 🙂
    Thanks